Older adults and people of all ages with severe chronic medical conditions are more likely to develop serious outcomes if infected with COVID-19 and should take extra precautions. To that end, it is strongly encouraged for older adults to stay at home as much as possible.
Council District Four Senior Outreach Program - Sign Up to Volunteer or Get Help!
My office has launched a senior outreach program to pair vulnerable seniors with local volunteers who want to help them get the resources they need. Visit the online portal if you're a senior seeking help, or if you'd like to volunteer to make calls or run errands for a nearby senior.
Food assistance from LA City Department of Aging:
- Department of Aging - aging.lacity.org or 213-482-7252
- All Multipurpose Senior Centers and congregate dining sites in the City of Los Angeles will be closed to the public. All programs and activities at all facilities will be canceled. The Department of Aging is reachable Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and Fridays from 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- Find a list of local resources and programs here.
Critical Delivery Service:
- Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services - 888-863-7411
- WDACS is providing a temporary delivery program for older and dependent adults. Through this program, adults over age 60, dependent adults (aged 18-59 years) or individuals with a permanent or temporary disability can request to have food and other vital items delivered. More information here.
Cleaning services for CD 4 senior facilities:
- Contact CD4 - email@example.com or 213-473-7004
- Councilmember Ryu has dedicated discretionary funding to pay for the cleaning & disinfecting of private senior facilities. If you know of a nursing home or senior facility in your Council District 4 neighborhood that could use this service - please reach out to our office.
- CalFresh Food benefits may be used to purchase groceries online at select retailers. Learn more here.
Zoomers for Boomers:
- Zoomers to Boomers is a team of young people looking to help the community during COVID-19 and deliver groceries to those who are elderly or immunocompromised. If you are an older person or immunocompromised and would like to place and order, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text (323) 364-5878. If you would like to volunteer, click here to apply.
Affordable & Emergency Housing Search Tool:
- Search for affordable, special needs, emergency housing, and more.
- For help, call 1-877-428-8844 (toll free).
“Senior hours” at local supermarkets:
If you are a senior seeking grocery delivery and can't afford a delivery service, let us know at (213) 473-7004. Although older adults are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, several supermarket chains have announced that they are opening early for seniors.
A few examples include:
- Albertsons, Vons, Pavilions and Safeway: every Tuesday and Thursday from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM for seniors, pregnant women, and those with underlying health conditions.
- Gelson’s: everyday from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM for seniors.
- Ralphs: everyday from 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM for seniors.
- Smart & Final: everyday from 7:30 AM to 8:00 AM for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Target: every Tuesday and Wednesday, the first hour will be dedicated for seniors and communities with other health concerns.
- Whole Foods: everyday, the first hour before opening will be reserved for people 60 and over.
As the situation remains fluid, please call your local supermarket to ask if they have reserved hours for seniors or people with underlying health conditions.