Know your rights & file a complaint: Los Angeles Housing + Community Investment Department - hcidla.lacity.org; 866-557-7368
Tenants rights clinic & support: Coalition for Economic Survival - cesinaction.org; Information on Tenants Rights Clinic; firstname.lastname@example.org
Legal services & more - Neighborhood Legal Services of Los Angeles County - nlsla.org; 800-433-6251
Finding & paying for childcare - Pathways LA - pathwaysla.org; (213) 427-2710; RR@pathwaysla.org
If you can't pay rent:
- HCID Eviction Information - hcidla2.lacity.org/covid-19-renter-protections
- Sample landlord-tenant communications - email@example.com
- Effective March 27, 2020 California renters impacted by the pandemic cannot be evicted for nonpayment of rent through at least May 31, 2020. Tenants must declare in writing that they cannot pay all or part of their rent due to COVID-19 within 7 days of the rent due date.
- Los Angeles renters will have up to twelve months following the expiration of the local emergency period to repay any back due rent.
- Tenants are not required to sign any new agreements with their landlord. They may work out a payment plan at this time only if they choose to.
- Tenants are not required to provide any documentation to their landlord proving their inability to pay rent at this time. Tenants are recommended to keep this documentation for their own records.
- Sample tenant-landlord communication form can be found here in English, Spanish, Korean, Armenian, Chinese, Russian and Tagalog.
Rent freeze on Rent-Stabilized units: Effective March 30, 2020:
- RSO Rent Freeze - lamayor.org/mayor-garcetti-orders-halt-rent-increases-rent-stabilized-units
- Is my unit RSO - hcidla.lacity.org/Is-My-Rental-Unit-Subject-to-the-RSO
- Effective March 30, 2020, Mayor Garcetti has issued a halt on any new rent increases on residential units that are subject to the City's Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), otherwise known as rent control. RSO generally applies to multi-family complexes built before 1978.
LADWP shut-off moratorium: Effective March 23, 2020:
- LADWP - ladwp.com; 877-MYPAYDWP
- Power will not be shut off for any customer who cannot pay their bill as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Contact LADWP for flexible payment plans.
If your hours are reduced or your workplace closes:
- Unemployment Insurance: California’s Employment Development Department - edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
- Apply for CalFresh - dpss.lacounty.gov
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance - edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/pandemic-unemployment-assistance.htm
- Freelance and gig workers may also be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance.
- CalFresh Food benefits may be used to purchase groceries online at select retailers. Learn more here.
If you lost your healthcare coverage:
- Covered California - coveredca.com
If your child’s school is closed:
- LAUSD Resource Centers - achieve.lausd.net/resources
- Charter School & Nonprofit Meal Locations - bit.ly/LAMealSites
- Pathways LA - pathwaysla.org; RR@pathwaysla.org; (213) 427-2710
- If your child’s school is closed and you have to miss work to care for them, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits.
- LAUSD has opened 64 resource centers that provide two grab-and-go meals for enrolled children per day, and over 100 charter schools and nonprofit organizations have also begun distributing meals.
- Get help finding & paying for childcare from Pathways LA. Free childcare may be available for essential workers. Call (213) 427-2710 or email RR@pathwaysla.org. More info in English and Spanish.
COVID-19 information for parents and families:
- Children's Hospital Los Angeles - chla.org/blog/hospital-news/covid-19-information-patients-parents-and-visitors
- The CHLA page contains information in multiple languages including Arabic, Spanish, Farsi, Korean, simplified Chinese and traditional Chinese.
Tax Day moved to July 15
- IRS - irs.gov
- California Franchise Tax Board - ftb.ca.gov
- The IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board have moved Tax Day to July 15. For more information, visit the IRS website and the Franchise Tax Board website.
County Property Tax Collection Information:
- LA County Treasurer - ttc.lacounty.gov
- County residents can submit a request for penalty cancellation online. To do so, visit the Los Angeles County Treasurer's website.
- If you believe that your property value warrants review due to a decline in market value, you can file an application for a Decline-in-Value Review.
- Jewish Free Loan - jfla.org
- LA Food Bank - lafoodbank.org
- Wilshire Boulevard Temple's Karsh Center - karshcenter.org
- Jewish Free Loan offers no-fee and interest-free loans to cover lost wages, child care costs, small business losses and more.
- The Los Angeles Food Bank provides food distribution through a network of local pantries. Find your local food pantry here.
- The Wilshire Boulevard Temple's Karsh Center food pantry is available every Sunday from 7:30am to 9:30am, and by phone and email Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm.